What does the world hold for us in 2019? I have some ideas…
Earlier in the fall, I shared with you that I would be preparing a report for you on what I saw as the major trends and forces shaping the world next year. Well, it took a little longer than I had thought, and I have spent some time actually getting rid of some major sections. But the finished product is here for your reading pleasure (or displeasure depending on what you think of what I have to say). Download it HERE
I have identified three major trends shaping our lives in 2019:
- An angry world: Us vs. Them
- Technology takes over. Or does it…?
- Future workforce: Could vs. Should
Each of these I explain in detail in terms of the data and context surrounding my thoughts. I provide a series of considerations for leaders and organizations to pursue in light of these major trends and forces so that they can remain relevant, meaningful, successful and remarkable.
You might notice that there are a variety of issues that are not included in this report, such as the environment, trade, and international relations. These will all remain important and critical topics for 2019 and beyond, but it is my belief that these issues cannot be dealt with unless we deal with the first order issues of humanity. People do not have the bandwidth to consider the plight of others,or the risk to our planet, unless they feel they are in a place to do so – and that requires addressing some major tensions currently around the world in terms of social stability, equity and trust.
I believe that our path forward is about three things:
- Collaboration – no one can do it alone. There is too much opportunity and too many grand challenges in the world for one party,or only government or only business to tackle them. We will need strong collaboration. Collaborations that challenge and question the status quo and conventional ways of doing. We will need to think about building and solutions. Ones that unite and share rather than destroy.
- Adaptation – nothing is staying the same.Adaptation of people, business, government, institutions and non-profits will be essential as the world continues to change, evolve, and disrupt. Adaptation will prove again to be one of humanity’s most important traits. Uncertainty,and the resultant adaptation, creates immense opportunity.
- Preservation – of our planet. Of the vitality and prosperity of our people. Of the powers of platforms, networks and movements for good, not evil. Of those things that make us uniquely human, that enable connections, and the ability to collaborate and share and support rather than attack and separate.
I hope that you enjoy Tapestry 2019. Let me know if you have any questions, comments or feedback. And wishing you the very best of success and remarkability in 2019!
Download the report HERE